Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Nenad

My neighbour Nenad is trying to sell his car. He is trying this for a while now. The car is a grey Volkwagen Golf I. This makes it an old car- it is over 20 years old. Before it was his, it belong to an elderly woman from Switserland; Nenand drove it from Switserland to BiH.
Nenad tried to sell it to me, and when I was not interested he tried to sell it to my friends. In my opinion the price he asks is to high, but Nenad assures me that 900 Euro for a Golf I is very reasonable; a Volkswagen is here the car to be seen with. It is the most wanted car amongst carthiefs, and it is equally populair amongst second-hand cardealers. There might be a connection there....
Not being able to sell it to me or my friends, Nenand has decided to try a different niche. The car is an automatic, and therefore ideal for people with a handicap, or to be more precise, for people with one leg. And that is the market he is aiming for. War vets with one leg- he tells me, without a trace of cynisism, that there are enough of them around, and that he is convinced that this car can help them.... I have to admit that I am impressed with his entrepeneurial spirit.

Nenad and I talk politics once every while. He is unemployed, and all he cares for is a job; regularly he asks me whether I can help him out. All he expects from a government is to create jobs. Although ethnically a Croat, he considers himself a Yugoslave. He detests the nationalist parties, and considers them a danger to the Bosnian society- a society he does not have much faith in anyway.
During the war he was a soldier in Sarajevo, in a predominantly Croat unit defending the city. He was guarding a part of the front very close to my house, and close to the Zoo. He knows what kind of work I do, and one day he tells me that he was imprisoned during the war in the building that I work in, for 40 days. He was arrested because he tried to smuggle his mother, who was in her eighties, out of the besieged city. Strangely enough he does not seem to hold any grudges against the people who arrested him.... for an outsider that is quite incomprehensible.

On a much lighter note: I read in a newspaper today, in an article with the title "I blog, therefore I am", that there are 7 million British bloggers. Seven million!! My god!!! ...And some of them have more than 100,000 readers a month (admittedly, the blog I am referring to is written by a girl who writes quite funny about sex- and that is always a good topic to write about if you are good at writing, one thing she clearly is good at, amongst other things...). Again though: my god!! Seven million!!! One in every 4 internet users in the UK is a blogger- when I read this article, I blushed... My enthousiasm about my own blog looks a bit pathetic now. Ah well, who cares....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah David, bring on the seedy details of your love life. That's what your readers are really holding out for...

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home