Monday, November 06, 2006

Sevdah

If you do not speak a language well, your view on local music is mainly based on the sound of it. C'est le ton qui fait la musique.

Although I can understand Bosnian quite well (and I might regret writing this, because it will be used against me by my Bosnian friends), my opinion of Bosnian, or better 'Balkan', music, has not changed. No matter how uplifting the words sometimes are, it still has something sad. But unlike to when I just arrived, I like it now...

Regardless of whether it is sad or not, Bosnian music is fascinating. Upon arrival it all sounded the same to me- horrible. Old-fashioned, sentimental and tearjerking. It was and is usually played full volume in cabs, with a cabbie who sings along. Or hums along, or whistels along, or whispers along, or taps along.
But the most fascinating thing about it, is that the music is very democratic. Not in the sense that it is about equal opportunities and stuf like that (it usually is about 'lost love', about 'remeniscing times', about 'commemorating old cities' etcetera); it is democratic in the sense that the songs are not just for old people, for hip people, for poor people, for men or for women. it is for all of that- the songs appeal to everybody.

The music I am referring to is called 'Sevdalinka',or
Sevdah .

The first time I really heard it was at a concert I went to on the 7th of december 2004. It was odd. The music sounded as described, old fashioned and cheezy, but I was in a basketball stadium with over 2,000 people, and most of them were youngsters. And all of them knew the lyrics of the songs, and sang them. Some of the songs were taught to them by their grandparents, so they told me. However, the strangest thing about it was, that going to the concert was not considered an anomaly or a gimmick- going there was cool!

It took me a while to appreciate that; Sevdah is music you have to learn to appreciate. I do now. Although a bit campy in my eyes, the music is nice. The way people dance to it is even nicer. One has to stand up straight, hips pointing forward, dancing slowely from one foot to the other, armes loosely streched and upwards (elbows bend) in an angle of about 45 degrees from the body, with your ands open and shaking towards the sky, with your head in your neck, your eyes closed while singing along on full volume. As a finishing touch to this, you balance a glas filled with rakija on your (fore)head.

I have been to a few concerts now. I do not master the dancing yet, but I am getting there.... The most popular Sevdah band is Mostar Sevdah Reunion. And I have to say, I am a big fan. Against all odds....

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David,

Nice of you to describe Sevdah music a little in your blog.

Just to let you know that we are promoting Sevdah music in London, UK, so if you are ever around, please do come along to see us.

Cheers,

Mirza
www.londonsevdah.com
londonsevdah.blogspot.com

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home