Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Cash is king

Yesterday I paid my rent. As usual I was a few days late.

I always pay in cash, and while I was waiting in line to pay, I was having a closer look at the notes of 100 km. Money is power, as they say. True. Translated into day-to-day use of the money this means that there are two different 100 km notes, both equally valuable. One has a Bosniak hero on it, the other one has a Serbian hero on it. Just like with the Euro, but slightly different- with the Euro the coins from one country at least have the same symbol on them....

I do not completely see the rational behind the two different notes, but I can imagine lenghty debates in the Bosnian mint, where one guy from Sarajevo argues that a Serb national hero should be on the 50 km note, and the Bosniak hero should be on the 100 km note, while another guy from Banja Luka opposes this, since he believes that the Serbian hero is equally valuable as a Bosniak hero, or even more valuable, and that it therefore should be the other way around etcetera etcetera.

My guess is that after days and days of debate two notes where their middle ground. Brilliant....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least in Bosnia everyone takes my money. Last year I had some trouble paying with Scottish notes in England ... so much for the 'United' Kingdom.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home