Thursday, April 05, 2007

Jumping ships

It is funny, how easy it is to miss the news of a place while you are living there.
When i still worked, I received the Bosnia Daily every day (hence the name, I guess), but now I am depending on the internet for information on the place. And that is more effort then I thought it would be- most of the stuff about here that you find on the net in English are OHR press clippings, or opinions of others. For a good oversight of the news, the clippings and opinions alone are not very helpful. I am a news junkie, and this is a bit annoying..

Anyway.
I have been asked what my new job is. I have not received my terms of reference yet, but I am going to work for a private equity fund, that solely deals with micro credits to individuals in third world countries. The organization that I will work for, starting on the 23rd of April, will set up the 'credit giving institutions' in countries with low per capita income.

You can say I am jumping ships, temporarily- it is a big step from war crimes to micro credits. But on a more metaphysical level ("what is mans role or place in the world"), those jobs are quite the same: both are meant to relieve people- victims of war crimes are being helped in picking up their lives by seeing the perpetrators of the crimes being tried, and are thereby relieved of their pain. Victims of poverty are helped in their struggle against poverty by micro credits, and thereby relieved of some of there problems (agree, agree, I am oversimplifying things here...).

So on the metaphysical level- my role? Don't know. I help. But that sounds a bit presumptious. I prefer to say I facilitate. Sounds reasonable to me.....

1 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

I still get B-Daily because I asked for it! Clearly someone is more loved than you.

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home