Wednesday, December 20, 2006

End of an era

Today exactely 11 years ago the first NATO-lead peacekeeping operation IFOR commenced. In my blog called "Footbal for Follies" I already wrote a bit about the history of peace-enforcing and peace-keeping in BiH.

Today is also the day that the Dutch army announces that it will seize it's operations as part of EUFOR, a successor of IFOR, in BiH. Since the Dutch army is currently with it's hands tied in what is euphemistically called a rebuilding mission in Afghanistan, it fears a sort of 'imperial overstretch' if it stays any longer in BiH.

The few times that I spoke to Dutch peacekeepers here, they were content to be here, but seemed a bit bored. Other soldiers I know spoke about a 'playstation mission' when they were talking about being here. Some of them complained about gaining weight here. I can concur that- I am gaining wait myself too.

#

Just before the start of winter (officially on the 21st of December) it has started snowing yesterday. Most likely I can go skiing this weekend.

#

Monday it is Christmas, but there is no Christmas atmosphere in Sarajevo what so ever. No trees, no cheezy songs, not even a day off on the 25th. It is the holiday season, but without the holiday. Even though my and my family do not celebrate Christma, it feels weird. apparently I am more 'housetrained' according to Christian culture than I thought I was....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home