Sunday, May 27, 2007

First in, first out

Ok, ok, I do not live in Sarajevo anymore, so I should not write about the news overthere anymore. Agree.

However....

...sometimes there is news that deserves some attention.
Friday the 25th of May, at around 1700, I received an sms from a friend in Sarajevo, with some disturbing news:
Radovan Stankovic, the first person ever to be transfered from the ICTY under Rule 11 bis of the Rules of Procedure and Evidence of the ICTY, had escaped that Friday morning. He was serving a 16 years prisonterm for multiple rapes. He is most likely in Serbia now, and since he has Serbian nationality, he will not be extradicted or handed over to Bosnia, since according to the Serbian consitution it is illegal to extradite nationals. It is most likely that he will never serve the remainder of his prison sentence.... What this means for the rest of the so-called 11 Bis cases is yet unclear. He was the first convicted in the Court of BiH, and he is the first out, too...

Back to business: I am in Friesland, and to be more precize: 4 kilometers north of Bolsward. My parents live here, and it is the first time since I got back from Sarajevo that I am at their place. Nothing happens in Burgwerd, where my parents live. And that is great. I managed to read two weeks worth of newspapers. I know what has happened in the world, hence the details about the escape. I am a fraid my story about Micro Credits has to wait a few days. See this is blog as yet another cliffhanger....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha David,

How terribly frustrating to hear that Stankovic has escaped after all the effort you went through to get him convicted. I wonder how you feel about all this, please let me know, sebastiaan

11:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

20, not 16 years:)

Yours truly,
The Appelate panel;)

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home