Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Travel for a lifetime

"You could travel for a lifetime,
and still stay where you are"

This sentence is the first sentence of the song "Under the surface" by one of my favorite Dutch bands
Bettie Serveert.

While jogging around Nijmegen yesterday, this song came in my head.

I was running over an asphalt road. At the end of this road there was a junction, where I needed to turn left. Between the 'legs' of this junction was only mud and some unmowed grass. A hundred meters from this junction suddenly I saw a dog coming up to me, from the right hand side. I am not a fan of dogs, and particularly not of big dogs. This was a big dog.
The dog came straight at me. Instead of taking the shortcut over the mud and the unmowed unmowed grass, I decided to face danger and jog on, passed the dog, over the asphalt. The dog worried me less than the fact that the terrain between the two 'legs' could ne mined.

It was only once I turned left, and the dog was out of sight already, that i realized that there is no such thing in Holland as minefields.

I have left Sarajevo almost two months ago, but I still stay where I was, in some ways....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, after your blog I read this one:
http://gemmlog.web-log.nl/gemmlog/2007/06/stukje_seneca.html
Same theme!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Totally did this too when I got back. I am still suspicious of anything non-paved. Long live humanity.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home