Sunday, March 02, 2008

Gung-ho

'The law of War', is usually what I answer when people ask my what I am studying in Geneva. Most people think I am joking, but at the end of the day, that is what I do. The official name of the law of war is humanitarian law, but eventually it is just the law of war.

It is not the most common field of studies, but in the world of today, a very important niche of the law, I am afraid. More and more countries are engaged in armed conflicts, and societies, economies and cultures are affected and effected by it. Better understand the rules of it, than.

There are moments that you just reflect upon what you are doing. Today was one, and I was wondering whether I am not crazy for choosing this line of work, this field of study. Because it means I will be dealing for the rest of my life with the misery of the world, since world peace is still a utopia, and not too likely to happen in my lifetime. It is a combination of adventure and trying to do good form humanity that drew me to this field. But whether I want to be 'in the field' for the rest of my life, I am not too sure about. Maybe for a while, but always, and if so, with a solid base in Europe, a place to go back to and be able to work in as well.

It is funny: although I would like to work in a hot-spot again for a while, I am not as gung-ho anymore as I used to be. It is wise to build a career in normal life now in which I have the opportunity to go back to the field later, instead of building a career in the field now, without being able to back to normal life later. Maybe I am finally getting some sense of grownupness...

Still, this studies focuses on working in the field, and I am glad I chose it. I am very curious where my classmates and I will meet in 15 years, and whether all 'soldiers' are still standing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home