Sunday, May 18, 2008

Een oorlog die de mijne zou zijn

It has been a while since I wrote- not because nothing happened, but exactly the opposite- too much happened. It has been busy days.

Last week I was in Holland for the start of the wedding season: one of my friends got married to his girlfriend, in one of the more beautiful castles in the Netherlands. A very nice, and particularly warm day. The wedding was nice, and saw some people I had not seen in ages. besides that- the wedding was uncontroversial, unlike the wedding in this story. Quite moving, and quite shocking: it was in the US, and it was not 3 centuries ago, but while my parents were my age...

While in Holland, I had interviews about my book, and gave two lectures about it. I still do not see myself as a writer, just as someone who wrote one book, but one radio- and two newspaper interviews (see the radio interview by clicking here. I am being interviewed about 30 minutes into the show) as well as two presentations about it, did make me feel as if some people are genuinely interested in what I have written. I am far from modest, but compliments about my book make me blush- maybe because it is a very personal book? Haven't really figured it out yet...

After Holland, I went to France, for a two day kayak-trip on the river Drome. It was a trip of almost 50 kilometer; I am currently writing this with a muscle ache i did not have since I had growing pains. Although it was raining the first day like crazy, we had great fun. Anyone going to the Drome region, I would recommend to stay at L'ermitage de la mure- a gite run by a Dutch couple who are trying to set up business in the Drome valley- a valley in South eastern France, where the unemployment rate is about 15%. Their initiative might hopefully lead to some employment in that region.

In the coming weeks i will have exams again- just at the moment I seemed to forget that I am a student at the moment. And that brings me to the idea behind this blog entrance: whenever I bitch and moan about my boring life, my exams, my lack of future or stability and start to feel sorry for myself, refer me back to this blog. Make me read it, and tell me that it is extraordinary to be studying at the age of 30, to do all this, and not to be stuck in a job or in responsibilities. Because I am sometimes a bit short of memory, and tend to easily forget that what I am doing now, the easy life that I am leading, is actually quite cool...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home