Saturday, May 31, 2008

Puzzled

Two questions are running through my head:

Q1: how do you chat up a girl in a laundrette?
Q2: why is the European Championship football allocate to two countries who could not care less about the game 9or better: who are not as passionate about it as the rest of Europe is?

Ad1: I did my laundry in a laundrette today, and a very attractive girl walked in. She looked quite arty, dressed very 'now' and seemed a bit aloof- hence interesting. But how do you get in touch with her, while you are studying while waiting for your underwear to dry without looking to sheepish: "Airing your dirty laundry?" (uhuhuhuh). Not a good line. "Do you come here often?" ("Yeah, about once every week. My stuff gets dirty, you know. Moron.") Not very sharp either. Maybe a conversation about washing detergents can be a good one. Or one about the temperature of the water. Problem is that I would look like one of those characters from a washing powder commercial- and I have been informed that those are the most hated commercials. So please, input, my friends. Input.....

Ad2: The European Championships are starting in a weeks time, and although there are several games in town, the EC-buzz has not caught on yet. I do see some adds, some shops with Swiss fan clothing, but no big, waving flags, no newspapers with comments about the Swiss national team, no football banter in the school cafeteria. The only things I read about the EC is that the police is glad the English are not coming, that the Swiss like the Dutch fan legion the most of all fan legions and that the local bars are pissed that when they are located in an official fan zone (yes yes, fan zones: place the fans have to watch the game, and where the commercial rules of the UEFA count) they are obliged by law to serve the beer from the official EC sponsor, instead of their normal beer. A lot of talks, but not of football. Usually I would mind this- I mean the fact that the biggest European event is held in a non-football nation. Now I do not care. Because I live here, and I get the full blast of it. Nice!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about: 'Excuse me, have you seen my underwear?' No pun intended, of course...it could go either way.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home